8 Miles Before 8 AM

This morning I woke up at 6 AM and then ran 8 miles. Casual, right (I’m sure for some people this actually is casual)? Honestly, I would have woken up later to run, but I had to bring my car to the mechanic (the check engine light is on, send good vibes to my car please) and then drive my mom to work. Thus, if I wanted to git ‘er done in the morning, I’d have to deal with a 6 AM wake-up call.

Pre-run, I ate a piece of Ezekiel toast with PB, a banana, and a drizzle of honey, along with a small cup of coffee, obvi.


Side note: I used the last of my current jar o’ PB for this piece of toast.


Pour one out for the PB.

Then, I was off to the races (please listen to that Lana Del Rey song if you haven’t already). My run went phenomenally well. I didn’t stop to walk AT ALL. Whaaaaaat?! I figured I’d for sure have to walk a couple times, at least when I was eating my GU Chomps. But no, not a walking break to be had.

Speaking of GU Chomps, I ate two around mile 4, and one more around mile 6. I guess I figured out the whole eating-while-running thing because I didn’t have much of an issue with it today. Also, I read a sentence in my Behavior Therapy book (adding the link as my citation) that reminded me of fueling while running (read the last sentence of the first paragraph):


Nothing gets between me and my snacks.

Overall, I had a pretty strong run. A little over 8 miles at a 9:19 min/mi pace. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.


I couldn’t resist a quick post-run SnapChat selfie.


So modelesque, I know.

Immediately following my run, I didn’t have much time to do anything but stretch for a few minutes and take a super quick shower before I had to bring my car to the mechanic and drive my mom to work. I didn’t eat right after my run, which I know is something you’re supposed to do. Whoops!

However once I got home from dropping my mom off (and getting Starbucks, it was on the way!) I made a smoothie bowl (1/2 cup(ish) of almond milk + 1/2 cup frozen mango + 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries + scoop of vanilla protein powder + handful of baby spinach) and enjoyed it outside with my iced coffee.


Please note the laptop. Thank you, strong WiFi!

I need to do some foam rolling and more stretching, and then I’ll probably definitely take a (well deserved) nap. I was able to get my ass up at 6 AM, but I don’t think I’ll be productive later today without a power nap.

I’m so happy my long run went well today. With every successful long run, I feel more and more confident about the impending half marathon. Here’s to hoping I keep trucking through!

Questions for you lovely humans:

1. Are you more of an early-morning, afternoon, or evening runner/exerciser? I feel like while I like getting up and getting my workout done, I’m actually a bit better if I wait until later. However, in the summer the best way to beat the heat when running outside is to go in the morning.

2. Are you currently training for a race? If so, how far into training are you? Any helpful training tips? The most helpful half marathon training tip I have (so far) is to STRETCH! It’s mega important.

3. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you love taking naps? I’m a solid 10. I love naps. My grampy says there’s an “O’Neil sleeping gene,” since both he and my dad are nap enthusiasts as well, and I must admit, that gene is 100% engrained in my DNA.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s